DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Winter Whining, Goalie Attire, Enough Already, Classifieds

Godforsaken State Of Frozenass
Did you all realize that yesterday, Wednesday, was the first day of this new year in which we didn't get any snow?  Woo-Hoo!  And because we live in the state that never lets any good deed go unpunished...
more snow today and tomorrow!

I just LOVE to shovel and use the snowblower, don't you all?  Wait, there's that one person here who lives in a condo with underground heated parking (and car wash) who doesn't have to do any shoveling...but we still love her cuz she's a Wild fan to the core. 


Oh, I am SO over that whole "it's pretty" attitude towards this weather.  I don't care how cute the dog is when he's covered in snow - it just means that I'm also covered in snow which is cold and wet. I don't care how beautiful frost crystals are on tree branches - it just means I'm out in below zero degree weather capturing it.  I'm tired of not being able to feel my fingers enough to press the shutter button on the camera. 

My dear friend Heather will jump in at this point of my winter blues crisis by telling me that I'm just not wearing enough layers of clothing.  Her philosophy has always been that you can add more layers of clothes to keep warm in the cold months.  She makes a point in that you can take off just so many layers to cool down in the summer before you get arrested, have to pay hefty fines, answer to the association board and keep a 200 yard visual distance from the neighbor kids.  Curse Heather's rational thought process.     

I miss wearing shorts and light cotton tops.  I miss walking barefoot on the deck and thinking sandals are confining.  I miss lounging in the sun while reading books.  I miss warm breezes blowing through the bedroom windows.  I miss happy hours on verandas and dinners on patios.  Oh, for the love of heat and humidity, I miss sweating.     

Lids
I found this entertaining so maybe a couple of you will too.  Sports Illustrated has a slide show of all of the goalie masks for this season on their website: Masks of 2010-2011.  I love that they included the backup goalies - cuz they're real goalies too, ya know.  Josh Harding has certainly had some interesting and fun designs over the years.   

Goalie masks have come a long way since Jacques Plante in 1959.

The Minnesota connection to goalie mask designs is Miska Designs, including our very own Backstrom, Harding and Fernandez on the pro level.  Minnesota and Wisconsin colleges are well represented too.  

Once, Twice, Three Times Of Wasted Chances
Patrick O'Sullivan is on waivers.  There's a shock.  Since the Wild really only picked up Sully because they didn't know when PMB would be back, if ever.  Well, Butch came back - hitting the ice like he'd never been gone and in fact, a tad bit better in some ways.  Sully, instead of taking this as yet another reason to step up his game, continued in his lazy ways on the ice.  Coach even sat him for a game and still nothing's changed.  Now the Wild is doing what it said it would do all along.  Carolina has first crack at reacquiring O'Sullivan, then any of the other teams can have at it.  If there's no interest in him by 11:00 a.m. on Friday then he's Houston bound.  

Where Are They Now?
Looks like Derek Boogaard finally took one too many punches to the head.  I'm not making fun of him, simply reporting the facts.  Sounds like he may be out for the rest of the season according to Ranger Rants.  And from reading the blog, sounds like Derek wasn't exactly fitting into the lineup anyway...now where have I heard that before?  I wish the big guy a full recovery from his concussion and hopefully he'll decide that the game isn't worth turning your brain into instant oatmeal. 

Wanted: Goaltenders.  Must Be Available To Start Friday!  
It's bad enough that Backstrom is out with a strained hip, now Jose joins him on the sidelines too.  Hopefully Jose will be up and running soon.  I love me some Theodore, heavy sigh, but seriously coach, why would you let him make the decision to start in the Dallas game less than 24 hours after playing a huge game on the road?  I would think it doesn't take an armchair head coach, or a rocket scientist, to figure out you rest him - period.  Richards needs to have his head examined - maybe he's got a concussion?  I have faith in my Hobbit though and I'm really hoping he makes the most of this opportunity - go get 'em Dobby!  When did I become such a freak for goalies?  Sounds like Matt Hackett is being called up from Houston to back Anton up. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting article on the history of goalie masks. Thanks!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete