DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Playoff Season Begins

Bitter, Table For One
How wrong is this - Phoenix and Nashville are in the playoffs but Minnesota isn't.  It's just fucking wrong.  I mean, desert hockey and grand ole opry hockey makes it but the State Of Hockey doesn't make it to the playoffs.  Jesus Christ, why do I follow this team??    

2011 NHL Playoffs - Round One 
Before I get into things here's my Cup Prediction: 
Western Conference comes down to San Jose and Vancouver with the Sharks taking it.  
Eastern Conference comes down to Pittsburgh and Boston with the Pens taking it.  
Stanley Cup goes to Pittsburgh (limited play by Crosby due to concussion issues) 
***DISCLAIMER***  those of you thinking of betting based on this you should know I've NEVER picked a winner. 

This is my favorite time of year, hockey peeps!  Well, next to 100 degree sunny time of year this is my favorite time of year.  Playoff hockey everywhere you turn!  I was watching the Phoenix/Detroit game, hearing how rockin' loud the fans were, and thinking to myself - 'Man, I miss that vibration and physical buzz you get when you're in a playoff arena.'  And who is texting me while I'm thinking this thought?  Well, that would be the Greatest Hockey Partner In The World, Vicki - telling me she's feeling the exact same thing.  Don't ever try to tell either one of us that we're not hockey twins.  It's pretty much a psychic connection thing between us.

First Round Match Ups

Chicago vs Vancouver 
L.A. vs San Jose
Phoenix vs Detroit
Nashville vs Anaheim
     
New York Rangers vs Washington
Buffalo vs Filthadelphia
Montreal vs Boston
Tampa Bay vs Pittsburgh

Where Are They Now?
I put together a list of former Wild players who are logging extra ice time in the playoffs instead of feeling like shit for having gotten their coach fired...oops, was that out loud?  Anywho - 
  • John Scott and Nick Leddy are playing for the Hawks.  I'm not trying to beat a dead horse with Johnsson for Barker and Leddy trade but...
  • Derek Boogaard and Marian Gaborik are playing for the Rangers.  Okay, Derek's not really making any impact with the Rangers but he was beloved here in Minnesota at one time.  Gaborik?  Well, he's pretty much the waaay overpaid version of Marty Havlat - plays when he feels like it and it's a beautiful thing when he does.  But we all know it's short-lived because he only likes to work part time...just like Marty Havlat.  
  • Sean O'Donnell is playing for the Flyers.  I only mention him because he was with the Wild during our inaugural season and he was the team's very first captain.  He complained the whole time he was here and demanded a trade after that first season, stating that he'd never wanted to come here in the first place.  You can all pretty much guess I'm hoping for a quick and embarrassing first round exit for the Flyers.  
  • Pascal Dupuis and Zybenik Michalek are playing for the Penguins.  Good old "Mono Brow" and "Squirrel Nut Zippers."  I wish them well on their quest for the cup. 
  • Benoit Pouliot is playing for the Canadians.  PouDiddy is doing better than Patrick O' Sullivan in that he's still up in the NHL and hasn't been shipped off to the farm team - yet.  It's rumored that Benny will likely spend the playoffs in the press box making popcorn in French, kinda like he did for the Wild, only in English. 
  • Andy Sutton is playing for the Ducks.  Andy was a total pylon of a defenseman while he was with the Wild but he could land the hay makers when necessary.  I have a signed picture of Andy during his peroxide blond days. 
  • Willie Mitchell is playing for the Kings.  Willie's been around the league since leaving the Wild and he's managed to alienate every team he's left with his exit interview comments.  Go San Jose!  
  • Eric Belanger and Andrew Ebbett are playing for the Coyotes.  Eric's infamous self-dental work on the Capitals bench during the playoffs last year.  Say what you will about this guy being a cancer in the locker room - at least he shows up every night and guts it out for every team he's been with.  Something Marty Havlat could learn from... Andrew Ebbett is a hard worker, grinder kind of player who probably won't see a ton of ice time but he's in the show, which is more than I can say about anyone on the Wild this season.
  • Dominic Moore (yummy, please, may I have some Moore), Adam Hall, Marc-Andre Bergeron (Tea Cup) and Dwayne Roloson are all suited up for the Lightning going into the first round of the playoffs.  All of these players hold special places in my heart but that doesn't sway me into thinking their current team will go far.  I'm saying first round exit but valiant effort, thanks mostly to Roli The Goalie... You go, you old fart!    
  • Shane Hnidy and Anton Khudobin are playing for the Bruins.  My Hobbit's in the Cup Playoffs!!  How fucking awesome is that?  Here's an excerpt from one of the articles this week on BostonBruins.com: "Khudobin will take his time in Boston to learn from two of the league’s best goaltenders in Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask." 
  • “Timmy has really good stats and he’s an unbelievable goalie. Tuukka, he’s an intensive goalie who has a really good glove,” Khudobin said.  “We will have enough days to talk about hockey.”  Asked about his own style, Khudobin said, "I just try to stop the puck."   I just love my little hobbit - he's so genuine...sigh.    
That makes 18 former Wild players who are sharpening their skates and taping their sticks for the 2011 Stanley Cup playoffs.  Not that I'd want to take all of them back but it does make you wonder...how come they're good enough to play on a team actually in the playoffs but not good enough to still be with the Wild?  

I gotta get back to watching hockey.  Going forward I'll post series scores and updates at the top of the blog and then get into things.  I also have some notes to share from listening to Russo on ESPN 1500 AM earlier tonight.  Here's the replay of the show, including a Twins review that's worth listening before Russo Radio starts. 
    

5 comments:

  1. Game On!



    -Havlat Hater ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Boogie......<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making popcorn in French - hilarious! When do you think Montreal will pull the trigger on Benny like the Wild did with Patty?

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Souhaitez-vous comme du beurre sur votre pop-corn?

    Bobbi will get it...if she's paying attention ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will assume the best of intentions with you Deedle ... and that you did not pick my Pens to take all just to spite me since you NEVER pick a winner!!! I am going with the thought that you picked the winner based upon your hockey expertise ... knowing how hard it was to not go with your heart and pick the Caps. GO PENS!!

    -Sally

    ReplyDelete