DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Hockey Day In America, Lovin' On Losers, Brodziak Re-Signed

Wild 2, Bruins 0 

Brodziak Re-Signed
That's re-signed, not resigned for you illiterates. 
Anyway, from the Wild's website: "The club announced that it has re-signed center Kyle Brodziak to a three-year contract extension.  Brodziak has been with the team since the 2009-2010 season. He has scored 40 goals and 58 assists through 220 games in a Wild uniform. He’s missed just two games since coming to the Wild and has been one of the team’s most reliable two-way players.  Brodziak quote during presser:  "There's a definite belief in this organization and I want to be part of turning this into a winning team."

Hockey Day In America!
What an exciting game that was! Oh sorry, I was still thinking about the Wings vs Sharks game that aired prior to the Wild vs Bruins game. That's not nice, I know.  But not far from the truth in terms of Minnesota Wild hockey this season.

I'm A Loser, Baby
Why are we even watching the Wild anymore?  They're toast.  Stick a fork in 'em.  Call the country club and make those tee time reservations.  Yet here I am, game in and game out, watching my team get beat down like a redheaded stepchild.  Why?  Ms.Conduct put into words what we diehard fans know to be true.  And she walks the walk - here's her tweet from just before the game: "I'm excited about this game. That's how deep my masochism runs." 
If you don't stick with it in the hard times you can't say you've been there the whole time when at last the Cup comes home.  Oh yes, It will come home.  
And on that note...    

Home Sick
I couldn't bring myself to write after the Jets game last Thursday night.  Again, not technical difficulties but instead a pity party complete with crying jag and hiccups.  I was busy feeling very sorry for myself not being in the X.  I was missing out on the atmosphere as the arena filled with Jets fans who made the trip for game two of what I hope with be a true rivalry in the seasons to come.  I give my thanks to Vicki, Dave and all the many peeps - including the four Winnipeg Jets fans I met at the draft in June - for talking with me through the whole game.  You all heal my broken hockey heart on home game nights.  I Heart You.      
Clarification: I do not miss Minnesota.  Not even a little.  This is where the Good Lord has led me for now and I love being here in Georgia. There isn't one day that something doesn't happen to confirm I'm in the right place. 

Wild vs Bruins
Since it was a rainy day in Georgia, no song pun intended, and Buster was extra cuddly soft after having had a bath this morning, we were snuggled in on the sofa together.  In fact, I've been parked here since shortly after getting home from church this morning. Is this what football fans feel like?  I have bloodshot eyes after taking three full hockey games but I'm a junkie and that itch got scratched real good today.  
I chose not to blog during the games.  Instead I'll share with you my favorite tweets from the Wild game.    

Ms.Conduct: "And I also want to throw a brick at the Bemidji State Beaver dancing behind Milbury and that other guy."

Deeicing: "Please miss and hit Milbury instead...on purpose. Oops, was that out loud?"

Ms.Conduct: "I'll throw two bricks. Or maybe I'll just throw Milbs at the beaver. "

Ms.Conduct: "Good lord. Get your facts right, Pierre. "Zidlicky tweeted out that he'd waive his NTC to go to the Devils." Yeah, that's what happened."

Russo: "Doc Emrick just came over to me and asked me to tweet how truly apologetic he is for fouling up "Let's Play Hockey." The man's a saint."

DanysTurtleneck:  after assiting on native MN Chad Rau's first NHL goal - "Look at that, I'm even making cake eaters look good! "

Milbury The Moron: "Kassian is in better shape than I thought because Thornton is in really good shape."


Russo: "Strong board play there by Pouliot (first time I've ever uttered those words)"

Russo: "Heatley great backcheck to save day after Spurgeon falls in own zone; Heatley's been the Wild's best 2-way player for a month now."  This one's for Robyn & Rich :)

Russo: "This is the Wild's first 2-goal lead since Jan. 31; I won't remind you what happened that game though "

Ms.Conduct: "Is it just me or are the Wild getting away with a ton of penalties? And by "Wild" I mean, "Whoever these guys are."

Church of Yeo: "Shun the non-believers. Shunnnnnn-a."

Mike Yeo Quote: "It was sort of reminiscent of how we were winning games back when we were winning a lot of games, if you remember that time."

Matt Kassian: "Funny thing - during a TV timeout tonight Pierre Mcguire leaned over and told me 7 or 8 detailed facts about my life that I didnt even know."

Gui Latendresse: "Congrats to brodzy for the nice 3 years contract ! Bright future for us with him sign 3 more years !!!!"

Play Of The Game
Backstrom's save on Lucic in the third.  Complete Frustration on Lucic's face afterwards.  He literally scowled and growled at Bax.

Three Players Of The Game
3: Matt Cullen - nets the insurance goal and he's from MN (cuz that's important, right?)
2: Chad Rau - first NHL goal and winning goal and he's from MN (cuz that's important, right?)
1. Niklas Backstrom - career high 48 saves and the shutout.  

For Nan - answer to your question: Every.Single.Day.
Favorite memory, for now, has to be our times at the Bel Rae Ballroom.  Thanks for loaning your "Dancing Fool" to me.  I'll always treasure those spins around the dance floor to Danny Gatton songs, especially this one.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment