DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Win or Lose

This tweet from Russo pretty much sums up the Wild's future: for the players, coaches and even the GM.


Win or lose, I think Leipold has to look at how this team has been coached, managed and how each individual player has performed/contributed to the current state of inconsistency.  Since you can't really fire the players you have to start with the head coach and the general manager.  I think the picture above speaks volumes for Fletcher already knowing this. 

I'm not going into tonight's game with any faith.  When my hockey partner left the arena after the second period last night I knew this team had blown a hell of a lot more than a game.  For only the second time in the 13 year history of this team has either one of us walked out of a game.  Vicki was hopping mad last night, disgusted, disappointed, let down and heartbroken.  I couldn't console her - the 1200 miles between us and my own anger kept me from saying anything except "you're entitled to feel this way."  This team has a lot to overcome and I'm not just talking about that piss poor performance last night. 

That said - Vicki's texts to me today ranged from:

"In a fine display of maturity, I refuse to wear my Wild sweatshirt today, even though I planned on it."

to:

"OK, Truth here - I'm still going to be excited if we win tonight.  Does that make me lame?"

Me: "Makes you drunk."

Vicki: "True Story." 
Drinking Red Wine animated emoticon

I love my hockey partner

Wild at Colorado with EVERYTHING on the line -

Parise deposits the puck for a 1-0 lead and I open a bottle of Reisling, screw-cap style.  Not wasting the good shit on this game.  Although I have to say Relax Reisling is not too shabby.  Half way through the first period and the Wild are owning the Avs.  It should be noted that Columbus and Nashville are tied 0-0 after their first period.  Varlamov is coming up big for the Avs in goal as MN puts shot after shot on net.  Then, just before the first period ends the Avs score and I drink a glass of wine. In one gulp.

Tuning into the Jackets/Preds game and see Shea Weber score on 'Lumbus (#Lumbus for you tweeters).  So far, so good.  Refill the wine glass.  Wonder if there's chocolate in the house?  Switch over to the Wings/Stars game and see Wings leading 1-0 in their second period.  Put a hold on chocolate search for now.

Second period for Wild/Avs and the Avs have come out swinging.  MN does not show up, nothing new here.  Scrambling in our zone and the Avs appear to score.  I say appear to score because as I was finsihing my second glass of wine the goal goes under review.  It's disallowed and the Wild dodge a HUGE bullet there.  Kobasew.  I see what you did there.  Where did I put the pretzel M&M's??  Wild wake up and decide to play defensive hockey.  It gets them the first power play of the game.  Holy extended pressure, Bettman - Wild actually score on a power play!  Seto launches a rocket past Varlamov.  Wild up 2-1.  Wings up 3-0 over Dallas in their third period.  Preds still up 1-0 over 'Lumbus.  Bottle of Reisling down 3 glasses and there's lots of hockey left at the Pepsi Center.

Found the chocolate and pulled the second bottle of wine.  Columbus tied the Preds 1-1.  Opened second bottle of wine while stuffing chocolate in face.  Eye twitch starting.  Jackets go up 2-1 just before the start of Wild third period.  Screw the glass, drinking straight from the wine bottle.  Wild responsible for their own destiny now as Detroit won their game and the Jackets did as well.  We are fucked.  I need to be numb to get through the rest of this game.  Half way through the third period and the Wild have ZERO shots on goal.  Just kill me now.  Avs have small meltdown and Wild get 5-3 PP for 55 seconds - which was a huge waste of time since we didn't convert.  Good thing I'm not wasting time on the second bottle of wine - halfway done.  Starting to not care about my eye twitch.  Wild doing everything in their power to lose this game and Backstrom is the only one keeping them in it.  He should just start whacking away at his team mates.  Maybe they'd get the fucking message: CLEAR THE ZONE!  

1:42 left...Backstrom again with a HUGE save while everyone else just stands around picking their noses. 

1:39 left...Avs use their time out and then pull their goalie for the extra man.  I pull the wine bottle into my lap because I need something to hold onto.  My hockey partner is 1200 miles away. 

90 seconds left...can barely watch this game wind down.  Peeking through my fingers covering my eyes.  Epic battles continue in front of Backstrom. 

Bouchard struggles to stuff the puck in an EMPTY NET but finally gets the job done and

OMG WE'RE IN THE FRIGGIN' PLAYOFFS!!! 

3rd Star: Suter with 32:54 minutes of ice time, +2
2nd Star: Seto with the GWG on the power play in the second period
1st Star: Backstrom for standing tall while his team mates screwed around.

Tweet of the Night:
"Zucker just clobbered Zanon on the forecheck. Zanon's beard took the brunt of it"— Michael Russo (@Russostrib) April 28, 2013

Text of the Night:
"Chicago better watch out...this is a team on a roll.  Wait a minute...that's one win in a row..."  Coach Daggett

And just to get you in the mood for playoff hockey -

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment