DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Monday, November 15, 2010

Back From The Land of Cotton and The Home of Coca-Cola

I left Minneapolis last Wednesday while the sun was shining and the thermometer showed an unseasonably high of 72º.  I returned home on Saturday evening to find my car covered in 3 feet of packed, wet, slushy snow.  I started whimpering when I turned on the front and back defrosters.  I was fighting back the tears as I stood ankle deep in slush working to set my windshield wipers free from their icy prison.  I was in full sobbing mode by the time I pulled out of the park-n-go lot and headed towards home.  

Connie and Randy bore the full brunt of my winter-induced hysteria when I got to their house to pick up Buster.  I was not in control of myself at all, my emotions raging from having left the people I love the most to come back to this craptastic weather, which won't let up for the next 5 months. 

Poor Buster took one look at his wreck-of-a-human and decided to curl up at Randy's feet and go to sleep.  Apparently nobody cared that he had just spent four days away from everyone and everything he knows and then it wasn't even his own human who rescued him from the pet resort.  No, that bitch had somebody else do her dirty work for her.  Made him go to Buddy's and Bailey's house.  What the hell?  Finally, I let him escape and head across the yards to wait for me to open the garage door - home at last.  He ate his supper and went directly into the bedroom.  He sat there looking at me, then to the bed, then back at me with eyes that clearly said "don't even think about not letting me sleep on the bed next to you tonight."  I put the wool blanket on the bed before I started my own supper.  I ate at the dining room table while the sounds of an exhausted dog snoring wafted out of the bedroom.  It went a long way in soothing my heartbreak.  
             
I realize that you all were digging out while I was still in sunny Georgia for the majority of the snowstorm.  I realize that some of you were digging out my driveway while I was still snuggling with Kate and watching Toy Story 3, again.  I'm eternally grateful for your thoughtfulness.  You're probably just as crabby as I am about the abrupt end to the most spectacular Minnesota autumn in recent memory.  You're entitled. 

I'm feeling sorry for myself and since it's my blog that means it's my soapbox so, neener-neener.  

The urge to move south is stronger this time of year, especially given my disdain for the Minnesota winters and having to say goodbye to this sweet pea after each visit to Georgia...
I remember when her mother and I would battle over Kate even touching a blade of grass.  Now she's fearless - and her mom's come a long way too.  

Melissa will throw a fit that I've captured her in the picture as well, but I'll risk the wrath because because I think this is one precious mom-n-daughter shot.  


I'm a little biased, admittedly - but isn't she gorgeous?

I'll write about the embarrassment that was the Wild/Thrasher game a little later.  I have some pictures to share of that as well.  Not that any of them show our boys doing anything other than being scored on...  For now I'm going to have a cup of hot chocolate and browse through the rest of the pictures from the trip.  To Vance, Melissa, Kate, Mrs. Zeumer, Roscoe, Georgia, Midas, Wally and Burrito: I miss you all very much.  
Mel - this is for you :)



For those who need to hear the original version for fear of Animal singing in their heads all day...

No comments:

Post a Comment