DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I'm A Little Bit Country...

I spent Monday evening in the company of Lyle Lovett and John Hiatt.  The State Theater audience was not disappointed by either of these talented gentlemen.  My music soul was recharged and I had a few really good belly laughs on top of it.  All in all, a very well-spent night.  On the drive home I was remembering the music of my childhood. 

My parents were fans of both kinds of music: country and western.  My brothers were all about the rock and roll while my sister was all about acoustical and her voice was so beautiful to hear.  Being 12, 10 and 8 years younger than my siblings it's easy to see why my taste in music is so varied.  We all sang and/or played instruments growing up.  My sister and I both played in concert/orchestra band as well as the marching band in junior and senior high.  My brothers both played in local rock bands during their late high school and early college years. That was back in the day when mom and dad had to go along with the band in order for the boys to be able to be in the bar.  And guess who got to tag along?  Those were the good old days.  Is it any wonder that I'm an audiophile at heart?  

One of my favorite memories from my early childhood is being all jammied up after bath time and sitting on the bottom step of the basement listening to my brother's band practice.  I had a two song limit before having to head off to the land of nod.  My brother's bands progressed and changed styles over the years but there was one song that carried over without change.  It was always my last song of the night: 
  


This should make Dave smile, considering he's the die hard country fan in the group.  Being a captive of my parents house and rules I spent my youth being exposed to the likes of Chet Atkins, Patsy Kline, Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell and Loretta Lynn to name just a few.  I came to love the likes of Lyle Lovett and Dwight Yoakam on my own accord, many years after having escaped the nasal twanged choruses that delighted my mother so much in her day.  I'm sure if there's a redeeming bone in my body, where my mother's concerned, it's my unabashed love for the late great Buck Owens.  How can you not tap your toes and sing along:
   


That Dwight - He's got Elvis's pelvis ;)  Now, Lyle isn't much to look at but he's a talented writer, singer, musician and entertainer.  If you ever get the chance to catch Lyle and his Large Band please do so.  I guarantee you won't regret it, especially if it's in a small venue like the State or Orpheum theater.  I would list The Road to Encinada and Pontiac as my all time favorite Lyle albums.

Now, to burst Dave's bubble completely - my heart really belongs to rock and roll        


Back to hockey tomorrow folks, I promise!

2 comments:

  1. Hard to believe how talented Mr Lyle is...he sure doesn't match his looks (and my prejudices) and what a mis-match of a marriage he had with Julia Roberts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad Dwight's covering up major hair loss under that cowboy hat ;) I love it when he's got a role in a movie I'm watching and wasn't expecting to see him. The mediation scene in Wedding Crashers is hysterical.

    ReplyDelete