DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Other Husband

This is a shout out to a guy who's been firmly entrenched in my life (whether he's wanted to be or not) for the last 20 years or so.  In fact, he's been my 'other husband' and I've been his 'other wife' for just about as long as he and Robyn have been legally married to each other- which is now going on 26 years.    

Rich got dragged into my life, for better or worse, as the vow goes, when Robyn and I became BFF's all those years ago at HealthPartners and has been a rock for me ever since.  He's been along for the ride all these years, quietly standing by, yet always seeming to know when I needed his presence.  Just like in a real marriage Rich has been there for me when things are good in my life and when things are decidedly crappy. 

He's even shared his home with me, literally putting a roof over my head when I needed it.  I've always suspected Rich didn't really have any say in that matter since he was deer hunting when the decision was made during a panicked phone call to Robyn.  There were some stressful times during those six months of cohabitation.  Rich suffered dearly for it, having to take crap off of two women and one of them had no right to be piping in on any of his business.  There came a point when he finally announced that having two wives was a bit overwhelming.  I could have died, feeling so embarrassed by my behavior.  Rich saw that and made light of the situation, because that's his gift during stressful times.  Ever since then I've been referred to as his other wife and he's been my other husband.   

There's a reason people come in and out of our lives.  Most of the time you just have to be open to not understanding the why or how come of it all.  Rich and I have come to understand the meaning of our connection over the years - to be there for someone we both love and because we 'get' each other when nobody else seems to.  I cherish my time with Rich.  He's a great friend, a loyal confidant, a fierce protector, and most of all he's a loving husband to Robyn and that's all I could ever wish for when it comes to one of my best friends.  Just because Robyn loves me doesn't mean that Rich has to, but he does.  I thank him for that.  

I beg his forgiveness for having let his birthday go by on Wednesday without acknowledging it.  I've been a little preoccupied but that's no excuse for not celebrating someone who's always got my back. 

Happy Birthday to my favorite skirt-wearing Other Husband! 

No comments:

Post a Comment