DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Wheels On The Bus Keep Falling Off

I could write a post filled with the F bombs but what good would it do?  I mean, really - if you think about it...the way the Wild have played all season and it takes all the way to March 20th before there's a total blowout game?  I'd say the team is pretty lucky. 

Let me take this opportunity to point out the bright spots of tonight's experience at the game:
  • Double Anthem Night!  The fact that there were 18,000 Habs fans in attendance made for the most spine tingling rendition of O'Canada I've ever participated in.  And they all sang along for the National Anthem as well which made my eyes tear up.  The best part of this pre-game ritual for me tonight was when the camera panned the Wild bench and focused in on Eric Nystrom belting out the National Anthem.  Thank you, Eric.  
  • Yep, that's it for bright spots.    
Not for the first time, I'd like someone to tell me what it is that John Madden and Eric Nystrom bring to this team - other than bloated contracts for dried-up, non-existent scoring?  Madden: 12 goals, 12 assists for 24 points.  Nystrom: 3 goals, 6 assists for 9 points.  These are two guys who were supposed to bring Stanley Cup experience and scoring to the team...I'm still waiting.  Good thing I'm not holding my breath, huh? 

Not for the first time, our defense STUNK IT UP.  This time they hung both of our goaltenders out to dry, in a single game.  Even my warrior hero, Zanon, had an awful game tonight.   

Not for the first time, our goaltending has proven to be Swiss cheese in critical games.  I'm a little more inclined to be lenient, to a certain extent, with Theodore and Backstrom because of the crappy team they've had in front of them all season long.  

Not for the first time, I've come to realize that our best players would be 2nd or 3rd liners on any other NHL team.  This is why we'll never get any other team to give us anything other than a 3rd round draft pick in return.  And that includes Brent Burns, thanks to his erratic play this season. 

Not for the first time, Russo will explain that this coming off season will not see huge changes to the Wild's lineup in terms of a high-scoring center.  The Wild are within centimeters of their cap - all being paid out to players who don't show up on any given night. 

Not for the last time, I'd like to see Todd Richards fired.  It's not his fault that players don't show up for games, but he's not blameless in all of this: waiting until Jose's let in 5 goals before pulling him, not  benching Burns for his horrendous play lately, waiting way too long to bench Miettinen.  After the game, John Madden was quoted as being embarrassed by the team's play tonight.  Mikko  Koivu was quoted as being embarrassed by the team's play tonight.  According to Russo's coverage: "By the middle of the second period, frustrated General Manager Chuck Fletcher held his chin up by his right hand.  Angered owner Craig Leipold sat in his suite with his arms folded."  Todd Richards...not embarrassed: "They're embarrassed by this and we'll be ready on Tuesday."  Richards doesn't think the team has given up...hmmmm, 0 - 5 -1 in the last six games.  I dunno Todd, I think you might need to open your eyes.  Todd did admit "I need to be better as a coach."  He did state the "players need to be better as players."  This one makes me really scared: "I trust the group, I trust the leaders."  Really, Todd?  Cuz left to their own leadership this team can't seem to find it's way from the locker room to the ice for the last 6 six games.  Todd trusts his players so much that Monday is a day off for them - after having embarrassed themselves at home in front of 18,595 fans Sunday afternoon and after having only picked up 1 point in the last 6 games.     

And lastly - not for the last time: Will Mikko Koivu please STFU about being held accountable by the local media for your horrible play?  My God, what a whiney-assed snivel monster he can be when we all start pointing out how horrible he and/or the team is playing.  Read Russo's post game blog - down towards the end of it.  Grow a pair, Mikko - or buy a pair.  Lord knows you're being paid enough by the Wild that you can afford a set of them.   

 

2 comments:

  1. We were sitting in 103 across from the players bench. I watched Eric singing the anthem and thought of you, hoping you could see him. I know he's not on your favorites list but thought this might redeem him, a little bit. What is the deal with Mikko and his attitude? I'm beginning to wonder if he's not part of the problem in that locker room...and let the hatin' on me begin ;)
    Redman

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get no hatin' from me but I'm pretty sure Vicki will bust me upside my head tonight when we meet up for the Leafs game.
    It's clear that something has to change with this team, drastically.

    ReplyDelete