DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Birthday Month, Is This Summer?, Stanley Cup, Calder Cup

Staring 50 In The Eye!
Yep, the big 5-0 is upon me and I'm embracing it with everything I've got - which ain't alot - but I'm ready for it.  Something tells me there's a country song in there somewhere...  Anywho - AARP came calling and I signed up.  I mean, why not?  Great discounts on shit you young pups don't have access to and I've come to terms with being called Ma'am.  Actually, I kind of like the power it wields in some instances.  I'm a Gemini so I'm partying twice as hard to be true to my astrological nature.  I usually celebrate for a whole week instead of just one day but since this year is a key milestone in life I'm going for the Full Monty (with clothes on, mind you though).  Looking at my calendar right now there are roughly 3 days not filled with some kind of activity.  If I'm still alive and kicking at the end of June I'll take it as a sign I'm meant to go on...


Summer Is A Crap Shoot
The weather in Minnesota for the months of June, July and August are, at best, a crap shoot.  This year is no exception with a cold, wet and wild (tornadoes in MPLS!!) month of May finally giving way to some sun and temperatures rising past the upper sixties.  The good thing about the cool and cold spring is that the lilacs in my yard are just now reaching their prime.  With the daily winds gusting at 20 mph, or more, it makes for a better type of aroma therapy when patrolling the poop in Buster's designated area.  Learn to count your blessings, I guess.  Seriously, there is nothing like the smell of lilac and fresh cut grass wafting through the windows this time of year.  Really gets the stink of winter out of the house.  There's still more rain in the forecast because, like last winter when we just couldn't shovel enough snow, apparently we're being blessed with even more water in order to grow a bumper crop of mosquitoes.  I know Melissa is a wilting flower down in ATL with temps stagnating in the upper 90's for the last 2 weeks, but when you're living in the hinterland you'll gladly trade places by the end of May.   

Stanley Cup Battle
As in many years past, neither of my picks made it to the final round, which is why I never encourage anyone to place a money bet on what I predict back in April.

Canucks vs Bruins for Lord Stanley's Cup
Game one was intense and exciting as all get out, despite being a 0-0 game all the way until the final 18 seconds of the third period.  That's when Raffi Torres scored an amazing goal from an exceptional pass by team mate Jannik Hansen and the Canucks took the series lead 1-0 on their home ice. 

Speaking of counting blessings, I'm thankful for unlimited texting.  Vicki and I were showing off our mad texting skilz during the game and for the most part were sending each other identical messages.  It was almost like being with her at the game :)  I don't get why there are three days before game two - some kind of NBC ratings thing, perhaps?  

Calder Cup Battle
Our Houston Aeros are still in the thick of it, leading the Cup series 2-1.  Game four is tonight.  Please link on over to the T3I site for some passionate coverage and live vicariously through the Minnesota Wild's farm team's quest for the Cup.


Miscellaneous Hockey Tid Bits
  • It's official - the state I will likely be moving to has no NHL hockey team anymore.  Is this a sign from God?  Makes me wonder what He's thinking (and I'm probably going to Hell for it) but it is par for the course with my life.  The Atlanta Thrashers have been sold to True North Sports and Entertainment Group and will be relocating to Winnipeg.  That's twice now that Atlanta has been unable to make a go of NHL hockey - first the Flames moved to Calgary and now the Thrashers are gone.  As tragic as this is for the true and faithful Thrasher fans in Atlanta there are some ecstatic NHL fans in Winnipeg who now are feeling what we jilted North Stars fans felt back on June 25, 1997 - REDEMPTION.  It remains to be seen if Winnipeg can make a go of a second NHL franchise so there are no guarantees, but maybe with a hockey-rabid nation supporting them now there's more than a fighting chance.   
  • Colin Campbell leaves his post as NHL Disciplinarian - only to be replaced by Brendan Shanahan, known for being one of the whiniest players in the union back in his playing days.  Looks like nothing will change in terms of "sending a message" to players in this league.  
That's it for me for now.  I'm on my way to the Wisconsin side of the river for a day of boating followed by a an evening celebrating a years-old tradition of firepit festivities, including making s'mores and washing them down with Diet Mountain Dew and Tequila concoctions...don't ask. 

Tequila - My Drug Of Choice!     

3 comments:

  1. You go, birthday girl! Can't wait for Saturday night and seeing Chelsea Handler with you! Love the Full Monty movie reference since it's one of my all time favorites.

    See Ya Later,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, will you still be up and running by the time we go see Florence & The Machine on the 17th? I've heard great things about the C.D.S -OVO show. I'm a little jealous we didn't think of that one.

    I can't wait to hear what you have to say about the potential of buying out Barker's contract...

    Have fun on the river and make it back in one piece, please!
    Nan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't fear the TMD Bumps :) My head is slightly fuzzy and I'm pretty sure there aren't any big meals in my near future but it was totally worth it! I hope you had as much fun as the rest of us did yesterday. I'm inclinded to think we did the right thing by instituting that no camera policy ;)

    Recouperating in the shade with the darkest pair of sunglasses I can find,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete