DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Friday, May 25, 2012

Cup Final: Kings vs Devils

So, what's shaking folks?  Oh, right.  There's playoff hockey!  I've been absent due to a trip back to Minnesota for a wedding and some serious hugs and catching up with folks.  I mean, I'm pretty sure Vicki and I stood in her driveway hugging for 10 solid minutes before letting go of each other.  It was a whirlwind 3000 mile round trip drive which included getting to see Vicki's oldest walk down the aisle looking like a fairy tale princess.  Sarah deserved the absolutely beautiful day that transpired and I wish the very best for her and her husband.  The fact that I remember when Sarah still thought boys were icky only points to the fact that I'm aging at a rate I'd rather not acknowledge.  So, on to the hockey cuz that's timeless.  


Seriously, if you bet the farm on my Stanley Cup picks, I live in a studio apartment so there's no room for you to move in with me.  The Kings dispatched the Coyotes without much trouble.  They have been waiting and resting to see who will be their opponent for the Cup.  In the meantime the Rangers dispatched my Capitals, heavy sigh.  Looks like my boyfriend has as much chance at a Cup before he retires as the Wild do before I die.  Perennially Disappointed, table for 18,000.  Meanwhile, the Devils finally ousted the Flyers.  That was a series which was almost the death of me.  So the Rangers were waiting for the Devils and it looked like it was their series to lose.  Who knew that was going to be the way it would go down?  The Rangers came out with the energy of a team that was well rested.  Too bad they got zero performance from the likes of Gaborik and Richards.  In fact, Gaborik got benched during game five.  The Hockey Gods punish, Marian.  Vengeance is mine.  Game six was a nail biter.  The Devils went up 2-0 in the first only to have the Rangers totally own them in the second and tie the game up.  The third period was nerve wracking and entertaining.  Adam Henrique took one for the team.  I mean, like, probably won't be fathering any children. 


Overtime proved to be a short-lived thing.  The Devils attacked Lundqvist and kept banging away until Henrique took a Kovalchuk shot that trickled through Lundqvist's pads and swept it into the net.  Sweet justice for a guy that gave up his manhood to block a shot in the 3rd period.  As Ryan Stanzel, Wild PR Guy, said via twitter: "It's a good thing Henrique went to the locker room to find his man parts after blocking that shot in the 3rd." 
   
      

And Now For The Cup Final
It will be the Kings against the Devils for Lord Stanley's Cup, the Holy Grail of all sports trophies.  Tune in Wednesday, May 30th, NBC.    

Sexism and the NHL
First there was this Newcastle Ale Ad:

This is funny, not sexist.  Get over it people. 

Then came While Men Watch on CBC:
Two women who talk on the phone while their husbands watch hockey and make up their own stories out of the play-by-play and color analysis.  This is Funny or Die kind of shit that you have to experience in order to believe it.  It is not sexist.  It could very well be that these two gals are just that stupid when it comes to sports.  But hey, they found a way to deal with being ignored by their husbands and ultimately are now getting a paycheck for it.  So, who's laughing now?  This is not feminism taking a giant leap backwards.  This is good humor.  If a few of the female persuasion happen to get seriously interested in the game of hockey (or any other sport these two ladies torture in the future) going forward, I say it's all good.  Lighten up, Francis.  It's all for a few chuckles.  And who doesn't need a couple of good laughs in their day?  The only sour grapes I have is that Vicki and I didn't think of this first.  Our own version, intelligent hockey analysis combined with just a hint of puck bunny, would have been an overnight hit.  I'm sure of it.  

Memorial Weekend
While most everyone is looking forward to the three day weekend I'd like to take a moment to thank the folks in my life who are serving or have served our country.  Thanks to you and those who served before you, I get to be deliriously happy at a silly sporting event.
We don't all agree on the wars we have fought or are fighting but we can all support those men and women who choose to put our country first.  

    

2 comments:

  1. Killer game last night! The poopy Rangers, and most importantly, Gaborik, are now out of the picture.

    I'm saying Kings in 6.
    Love You!
    Geo

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless You! I know we differ greatly on all things military but you have always supported our troops and for that I love you. The fact that you're a hockey chick is the frosting on the cake. The fact that you're a dog chick is the ice cream that goes with the cake. It's why we get along :)
    See you in the fall! Ben

    ReplyDelete