DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Free Agency Frenzy and Re-Signings

Crazy Contracts Being Handed Out
Free Agency, July 1, is still two days away but GM's across the NHL are already showing signs of being off their prozac.  Quick gets a 10 year contract?  I'm actually okay with the pricing, $58 million, but 10 years??  Does anyone outside of the Kings' management think this guy is the next Brodeur or Roy?  I think not.  And for the love of frozen vulcanized rubber discs, what are the Penguins thinking giving Sidney "Perennial-Mush-Melon" Crosby a 12 year, $104.4 million dollar deal?  Geez, I thought the Wild paying Bouchard's salary for being perennially disabled is outlandish.  Good luck with your cap space in the coming years Pens, you're gonna need it.  Oh, and just stay the hell away from Zach Parise.  The Wild need him waaaay more than you do.  


Speaking of the Wild...
With much sadness the puckbunny in me says au revoir to Guillaume Latendresse, better known as Let'sundress.  He's decided to enter the free agent market, looking to sign with a team in Canada which is home to his rock star girlfriend and 4 year old daughter.  Let us take a moment to drink him in one more time:

Nick Johnson was not offered a qualifying offer by the Wild so he'll enter the free agent market as well.  I had such high hopes for Nick but he fell short. 

Kris Fredheim was not offered a qualifying offer by the Wild. 

Much to Alex Daggett's dismay the Wild will let Mike Lundin go to free agency.  

Kurtis Foster, Jeff Taffe, Jeff Penner, Jon DiSalvatore (can go to Europe), Warren Peters, Jed Ortmeyer and Erik Christensen (KHL-bound) will all go to free agency on Sunday.   

According to Russo, "the Wild is working on an extension for Justin Falk, but it's not done yet, so he was officially given a qualifying offer to retain his rights. Chad Rau agreed to terms on a two-year deal last week. Others to have qualifying offers tendered are Chay Genoway, David McIntyre, Nick Palmieri, Jarod Palmer and Carson McMillan."  Qualifying offers mean these players are restricted free agents, not unrestricted. 

Cody Almond, who decided to sign a contract in Switzerland without so much as a howdy-doody to the Wild's management, was tendered a qualiftying offer so the Wild hangs on to his rights.  The Wild did the same thing for Dennis Endras who will play in Germany next season.

Stephane Veilleux has been signed a one-year, two-way contract with the Wild along with Chad Rau.

Matt Kassian got himself his first one-way deal.  It's a 2 year deal for $550,00 and $600,00.


Wild In The Market
The Wild's interest in signing Ryan Suter has been for naught since the Flames traded for his rights. 

The quest for Zach Parise is ongoing and as many of you know the Wild aren't the only ones on the bidding sheet.  The Devils may very well work to get him re-signed and then there's the Penguins who have to be absolutely salivating at the thought of Parise permanently attached to Crosby's hip as his number one winger.  Sally will go into overdrive to officially recruit me if that happens. 

One thought that comes to my mind with Latendresse being gone is the Wild possibly going after Dustin Penner.  A girl can dream on behalf of her team. 

My Eastern Conference Crush
Most of you know I'm a Washington Capitals fan and you probably think it's soley based on my adoration for Alexander Ovechkin.  Y'all would be wrong.  Adam Oates is the reason I'm a Caps fan.  Adam was one of my first hockey crushes, my first admission of puckbunny feelings in my tummy.  I've followed Adam's career from his rookie year in Detroit, to the Blues where he played with Brett Hull (Hull and Oates line), to the Bruins where he played with Cam Neeley and Wes Walz...hmmm, how many degrees of separation was that on Wes?  Anyway - I really connected with the Caps during the time Oates played with them and it's stuck ever since.  Back to Adam - the Blues traded him to the Caps in 1997 and he changed his number to 77 in homage to Ray Bourque, further cementing my undying respect from that point on as a true hockey fan in addition to my puckbunny love for him.  Adam went on to play a season each in Anahiem and Edmonton before retiring in 2004. 



Oates has coached with the Lightning and Devils (assistant under Lemaire).  Now he returns to the Caps as the head coach for the 2012-2013 season.  I couldn't be more excited for my Capitals this coming season.  This will be a salve for me being stuck here in the eastern conference.  Oh, and he got some other kind of small recognition this week - induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame.  


Note to Vicki: Adam also played lacrosse so there's that connection with Emily ;) 

Here's one of the best NHL commercials ever:


I hear my MN family and friends are having some very Georgia-like heat and humidity in the early stages of this summer.  Can't say as I feel your pain because you know I'm soaking it up for all it's worth down here.  In addition, Georgia yellow peaches are in season and I'm eating my way through half of the state's harvest all by myself.  Very Yummy.          

No comments:

Post a Comment