DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Stanley Cup Goes To...

The Sound of Silence
I was MIA for a couple of games due to some technical difficulties.  I was watching, I just didn't have access to one or the other: my phone or the interwebbyz.  And in fairness to all of my hockey texting partners it was probably good that I couldn't text all of the four letter words that were streaming from my mouth.  I was so apoplectic, especially during game 3, that I likely would have been texting gibberish and left you all wondering if I'd actually had some kind of cranial episode.  I mean, C'MON DEVILS, could you have been any more absent?  I had to keep looking at their sweaters to be sure it wasn't the Wild on the ice.   

Speaking of the Wild, Russo Radio from Tuesday this week yielded a great interview with Ken Hitchcock, head coach of the Blues.  Michael asked Ken some great questions regarding how the team was in total disarray when he came in.  You know, like not putting forth consistent effort night in and night out, slackers not giving it their all.  And then poof!  Ken walks in the door and whaddyaknow...the Blues turned their ship around and started playing for each other and the team.  If you missed Russo's second stint on KFAN here are the links to the second and third hours of his show.  Great stuff, I especially loved the Kevin Weekes interview in the third hour.  I wonder when Michael will get the offer to do a weekly 3 hour hockey show on KFAN?  It would be heaven, at least for me.


And The Stanley Cup Goes To...
Back to New Jersey for game five! The Cup was in the building for game four. Nobody can tell me the Kings weren't distracted by It and then a tad bit devastated to not be hoisting It in front of their own fans on home ice. Hey, it could still happen. But for now the Devils live to play another day. I don't care what the tv analysts say, Brodeur looked bad out there for the most part.  He got lucky and finally got some offense from the guys in front of him.  And because of that Tim has to endure a game five.  Because It's The Cup! 

The Kings looked a little off during the game but really felt they held the upper hand for the majority of the game.  I can only refer back to Michael Russo's interview of Kevin Weekes on Tuesday this week.  Kevin basically says: "I dare anyone to come up with what the Kings are doing wrong."  Their defense is spot on, their offense never gives up on banging away at the puck, their goal tending is supernatural.  They don't have Marek Zidlicky.  Lord, I love Ms.Conduct! 


Piecing Things Together
On the one year anniversary of Derek Boogaard's death the New York Times did a follow up article detailing the work Derek's father has done in trying to piece together his son's spiral into drug addiction.  The piece, for me, leaves many more questions than it answers but it does start to paint the picture of just how many people were involved in 'managing' Derek's pain issues.  What's clear to me is that the NHL needs a serious overhaul in their medical care program and that Gary Bettman still has his head up his ass when it comes to concussion/head injury damage.  What's also clear to me is that Derek's family and loved ones, while meaning well, didn't do him any favors along the way.  This is not a new story when dealing with addiction but it is noteworthy.  Enablers are those folks closest to addicts, and they love the addict very much, but can be as deadly as the drug/drink of choice that's slowly killing someone.  If you don't think this is true, watch an episode of Intervention on A&E sometime.  If you missed the original three piece article on Derek click here.  


Greatest Commercial This Week

  
I mean, seriously - how great is it to have Rob Zombie doing your product's commercial and have Clint Howard starring in it?!!  Of course, you kinda have to be into the horror flick genre to appreciate Rob Zombie, but who isn't...right??

Best Mini Series Of The Year So Far
The History Channel has really outdone itself with the Hatfields and McCoys production.  I don't think Kevin Costner should do anything but period work since he's clearly cut out for it.  I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of Bill Paxton, but his acting in this won me over.  For those of you who have DVR'd the series and haven't watched it make plans to devote the entire block of time needed to watch it straight through.  You'll be too hooked to walk away from it.  I'll supply the link for those who want to check it out online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment