DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Infidelity and Sparklers

My Cheatin’ Heart
I have a confession to make – I’ve been spending time with a different sport lately.  I feel kind of naughty, like I’ve been cheating on the love of my life, at a very crucial time in our relationship.  I pretty much blew off the first day of NHL free agency on July 1st.  Instead, I spent the next four days splashing around in Lake Minnetonka with Buster and frolicking at Target Field with the Twins.  It wasn’t that I didn’t want to know what was happening with the Wild during this year’s free agency scramble.  I was in the loop, thanks to a friend with a data package and twitter alerts from Michael Russo.  It made me feel a little less guilty about not being there for my Wild on one of the most important days of the off-season.  Of course, there was a price to pay for my infidelity.  I think I cursed the Twins since they lost all three games I attended since last Thursday.  I’ll take the hit Connie, I’m so sorry.  I’m owning up to my infidelity.  I’ll start making amends to you Wild fans right now.  Here's Russo's Blog, in case you haven't read through it.    
A bullet point rundown:
• Matt Cullen signs on for 3 year deal worth $10.5 million


• Eric Nystrom signs on for 3 year deal worth $4.2 million


• Boogaard signs with the Rangers for 4 year/$6.6 million deal


• Andrew Ebbett signed with the Coyotes


• John Scott signed with the Hawks


• Owen Nolan was not re-signed by the Wild, or any other team – for now


• Let’s Undress extended his contract for another 2 years


• No word on extending Koivu’s contract yet
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yankee Doodle Dandy
I hope you all had a fun and safe Fourth of July weekend, especially with the extra day off most of you got.  How great was it to take in the fireworks on Sunday night knowing you still had all day Monday to goof off?  I had to take a pass on the opportunity to watch the fireworks from Bobbi’s spectacular view on the river, but I did make it to my usual spot – my deck.  The cities of Apple Valley, Burnsville, Lakeville and Eagan all put on shows that can be seen from my deck.  There are also several folks in the surrounding neighborhoods that put on firework shows.  It started about 8 years ago with just a couple of neighbors lighting off a few of the big guns before the Real Show kicked off.  This year there were at least six houses putting on pyrotechnic shows that likely should have been licensed, but very enjoyable up close.  Oohs and aahs were audible throughout the valley and up the hill to my property.  The muggy haze left over from the humid day turned to blue and the smell of gunpowder soon filled the air.  In between rounds of aerial shells I watched firebugs darting in and out of the artic willows below me.  Standing there at the deck rail, with the sights and sounds of a quintessential Minnesota summer day coming to a spectacular close, I realized how lucky I am.  Life doesn’t get much better than this.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment