DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Puss-N-Boots

Some of you got the distinct impression that I’m anti-cat.  I can see why with all that gushing over the canine species.  The truth is that I adore the little purr monsters.  There’s nothing like the feeling of being completely owned by a cat.  That moment when they head-butt and mark you by rubbing their cheeks on you is a joyous one for us cat lovers.  It is not to be confused with the false sense of love they imply when they rub their bodies against you at dinner time.  That’s just an act to get you to feed them, they could care less about your feelings.  Until two years ago I always had at least one cat in my life, mostly two.  Robyn and I became friends 20 some years ago thanks to our common love for cats.  Unfortunately, allergy and asthma issues finally got the better of me and I had to say goodbye to kitties living in my house.  Turns out I like to breathe, go figure.  I definitely have a penchant for the Siamese breed.  I bred Seal Point Siamese cats in my youth, having pairs of females and males at different times.  Robyn introduced me to the Blue Point breed when we both chose kittens from the same litter that her sister owned.  There’s another story, for a later date, about a certain infamous cat which a number of us in this little hockey circle have lived to tell.  It will need to be co-authored and approved by Robyn but it’s worth telling at some point.  Most recently I shared my life with a Tortie (Tortoiseshell Colored Cat) who claimed me during a trip to PetSmart for dog food.  Torte, because what else would she be named, graced my life for two years before I was diagnosed with a severe allergy to cat dander.  It was very hard to do but I had to find a new home for my sweet Torte.  As an adult this was a living hell experience.  I can only imagine what parents go through with kids who get diagnosed and have to say goodbye to a loved pet.  These days I limit my kitty exposure when visiting friends or at adoption events at my local PetSmart and Petco.  And there’s always lolcats to keep me up to date with the feline antics I miss.  When you have cats, you have cheap entertainment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment