DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Cheese, Movie Deals, Just Say No and Hockey Shopping

Who moved my cheese? Okay, it’s really the bread that got moved but it still applies.  They say change is good and typically I’m a roll-with-the-changes kind of gal. Just not when it comes to Target changing up their aisle sets.  I swear to God, nothing knocks me off my axis faster.  There I am standing in what used to be the bread aisle, turning circles and blinking my eyes rapidly, like that’s going to make the bread reappear. Has time shifted? Was the storyline from Prince of Persia actually on to something? Suddenly help appears in the form of a well-mannered young man in that familiar red shirt - I’m rescued! “Um, no ma’am, you haven’t succumbed to early onset dementia. You’ll find the bread in aisle 9 now.” Terrific, I’m totally locked onto the change in the bread location going forward, roger that. Change ain’t no big thing. It’s the usage of ma’am that I’m still reeling from.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stretching Your Entertainment Dollars
I love going to the movies and I take in as many as I can but let’s be realistic…it’s not cheap to take in a flick anymore. For you parents out there, I can’t even imagine the hit you take in the wallet every time you drop the kids off in front of the theatre. Here’s something that can help save about six dollars per person, if not more. The Carmike Theatre has a promotion running called Stimulus Tuesdays. Every Tuesday, all shows, their small popcorn and small sodas sell for a dollar each. Their candy prices are also reduced to $2.50 each. If you combine these deals with the super value showing times there’s a good chunk of change to be rescued. This deal is offered at all of the Carmike Theaters. Okay, I admit to using my ‘big’ purse for movies in order to bring in my own soda and box of candy. But if you’re like me and you really love theatre popcorn, the deal on the small bag can’t be beat.  I do have to say that my first choice of theater south of the river is the CineMagic Atlantis in Burnsville. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

In The Garden
I have a mantra I chant in the garden: Just Say No...To Weeds! Into every garden some weeds will grow. You can be successful in the war on weeds with a few simple tricks at the time of planting and throughout the growing season. You won’t have to spend hours bent over, pulling weeds by hand while trying not to step on the delphinium you’ve spent two years establishing. I don’t use plastic underlaying or weed fabric in my perennial gardens. I don’t believe in it for a number of reasons. That doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t use it. If you’d like to have that conversation with me, call or text and we’ll have a dialogue. I do believe in Preen. It’s a granular weed control product that can be used during planting, along with your all purpose fertilizer. It should also be used throughout the season to protect your beds from the invasion of weeds. For established garden beds you’ll need to eradicate existing weeds. Once that’s done, sprinkle Preen around all of your plants, no need to rake bake the mulch or rock. The granules will disperse each time you water or when it rains. Preen also comes in a ‘weed and feed’ formula so it’s time released for keeping weeds away and feeding your plants all season.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wild Shopping 
Our good friend and hockey guru, Dave, went to Select A Seat at the arena this week.  He participated in the seat swapping event and then did some major purchasing at the warehouse sale in the Hockey Lodge.  He doesn't strike me as the shopping male type so this was a surprise.  What will really blow your socks off is one of the items he bought.  I'm going to let Dave tell the tale, just waiting for him to send it my way for posting.   

2 comments:

  1. Ok - so the section on stretching your entertainment dollars.....is that all day every Tuesday or just certain hours and certain Tuesdays? What an awesome deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha...so the movie isn't a dollar...just the popcorn and drinks. I gotcha! Still a good deal.

    ReplyDelete