DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wild Things, Twins Win!, Official Start of Summer

Wild Things
The Lemaire Era has officially ended now that Mike Ramsey has resigned.  I'm sad, a bit shocked but incredibly proud and thankful for his years of dedication and professionalism.  I agree with Russo in thinking that we'll be seeing Mike in a coaching position sometime in the future and I wish him all the best.  You all know who I want to see fill Mike's position but I can't bring myself to say it out loud for fear of angering the hockey gods. 

OMFG, WTF, FFS!! Wild Re-signs Sheppard.  This is just Matt Foy Part II. I’m an armchair GM and coach, admittedly, but for the love of frozen vulcanized rubber - why on earth does anyone think Sheppard’s going to amount to anything worth more than a sweaty jock strap? It’s been four years and it’s not like we’re developing a defenseman. He’s a fourth line, sub-par center on a team who has maybe three players who could guarantee themselves a spot on the first line of any other team in the NHL. It’s official: Shep is the Whipping Boy for the Wild this coming season and you can bet he’ll be derided like Kuba and Skoula were before him. You think this kid lost his confidence last season, Chuck? If Shep doesn’t hit the ice winning every faceoff and scoring a point in every game you can bet you’ll hear about it, from the fans and the media. What I read between the lines is that Fletcher feels like he’s got to try to get some of the franchise’s money back on this kid. He’s hoping and praying to the hockey gods that Shep will, at the very least, be worth a mid season trade. So we’re stuck with this pile of ice shavings based on the amount of time and money that’s already been wasted. Seriously, didn’t we learn anything from buying out Parrish’s contract? Cut bait and run, Fletch! Ooookay…just took a deep breath and regained control of my blood pressure. Alright, I haven’t seen the details of the contract (one-way or two-way, incentives, base guarantees) and who knows what kind of conversation Chuck had with James and his agent upon signing. Maybe Chuck advised Shep to put his play where his mouth is (comments made under Lemaire’s regime) or he’s done. And besides, who says he makes it out of camp? Come on, Wellman! Come on, Almond!


Woo-hoo People! We’re talking serious hockey here in June, after the Cup! Gotta blend up a fresh pineapple margarita to celebrate. Please do take the time to read Russo’s blog since he touches on qualifying offers being tendered, Nate Prosser, Draft Weekend coming up, etc. and there’s just no need for me to rehash it when he’s already covered it. And he’s got an article on Boogaard’s future as well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twins Win!
Props to the Twins and Scott Baker last night! What a great MLB debut over the last two games for Valencia – you have to feel great for the kid. Is it wrong that I giggle every time I hear Punto’s name…and then blush a little because I think he’s GrillMaster Hot? Delmond Young makes me cringe with fear on each play he makes, offensively and defensively, but I’m probably not alone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Summer Begins
You can tell it’s officially summer: no more going to Target in the middle of a week day for some quiet shopping. Kids: they’re everywhere. In all shapes and sizes but with one common factor among them – being glued to their cell phones, blindly shuffling through the walkways while chatting or texting a mile a minute…probably to some friends just two aisles over. The day suddenly became less sunnier with the realization that my public outings will be populated by these… these invaders of public outings. I quickly surmised the moms of these invaders aren’t any happier about it than I am. From the looks on their faces today at Target, Cub and Best Buy they are despairing over the additional hours they’ll have to spend feeding, entertaining and, in general, parenting them. One mom had five kids in tow and she was holding back the tears in her eyes. It was only 11:00 a.m. on the first Wednesday of the summer break. I couldn’t help thinking I should just throw out my anti depressants since my life is a friggin’ joy ride compared to that woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment