DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Heat, Humidity and Hockey

Ice, Anyone?
August in hockeyland is typically cold and desolate, despite the humid heatwave we're experiencing here in Minnesota.  For me, this is the hardest month to get through while waiting for the season to begin.  There's just nothing going on, or so I thought...  
 
The Wild signed 37-year-old John Madden, winner of three Stanley Cups - most recently in June with the Blackhawks, to a one year deal.  He's a defensive forward that will remind you of a former Wild player I'm fond of.  Chuck Fletcher's take on John: "The things [Madden] does really well are always areas you're looking to get better in -- defensive play, killing penalties, faceoffs."  My feelings for Wes aside, this signing makes me wonder about the chances of Casey Wellman making the team out of training camp.  On the other hand, I'm pretty sure this means that Sheppard is all but outta here.  Unless James acquired mad hockey skills and sense over the summer I can't imagine that he'll make the team given the signings during free agency.  Now, Madden is no spring chicken and I know some folks are already moaning about the acquisition of yet another aging grinder.  Please, people - remember that the Wild's current lack of cap space plays a bigger role in who they could sign than the desire to make the flashy signing.      

So, recapping the Wild's activity this summer here are the centers that will more than likely anchor our four lines this season: Mikko Koivu, Matt Cullen, Kyle Brodziak and John Madden.  For me, it's not worth speculating about the rest of the players until training camp and into pre-season this year.  I don't think we're in it for the Stanley Cup next June, but I don't think this is going to be a wasted season either.  I do admit to being concerned about Cam Barker's value compared to having given up Nick Leddy.  I think Dave and I are on the same page regarding the ultimate cost of that trade.  Man, I can almost smell the ice...it's only 47 days until pre-season games start.


Until then, I leave you with this video.  Stay Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment