DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Monday, August 30, 2010

Milk Cartons, Iron Butt Update, Walz-On-A-Stick

Have You Seen Me?
No, my picture isn’t on the back of a milk carton despite what my friend Pat says.  I know it’s been awhile and I need to make amends for my absence.  I did have some computer issues for a few days.  Good Lord, I can’t believe how incapacitating it is to be without the webz and cyberworldz!  In the end all I have to say is that I LOVE the Geek Squad guys almost as much as I hate Best Buy – and that’s a lot.

Grab a cup of your favorite caffeine and let’s roll…

Iron Butt Rally 2010
   Per IBA rules, daily blogging was not allowed.  It’s sad to think that in an amateur competition, people feel the need to cheat, hence the no blogging rule.  Now that the rally is done I can share with you all the dizzying miles racked up by our resident biker chick.

   Connie rode her motorcycle day and night, night and day.  Through Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming and back to Colorado.  Next came Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota (Lakeville actually, on Hamilton Drive, next door to me to be exact), Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia and finishing up in Spartanburg, South Carolina.  That’s 17 states folks – all within the allotted 5 days.

   Following her progress via satellite was one of the most interesting, fun and educational things I’ve done in a long time.  It was nice to have a purpose at 3:00 a.m. with the insomnia.  I gotta admit I thought the night hours had finally made instant oatmeal out of my brain cells when I watched the tracker ping through MN and right into Lakeville.  Stepping outside to see her with my own eyes was surreal.  Not wanting to tamper with her official routing I didn’t make contact but I was certainly dying to!

   She slept for only a few hours at a time before showering, eating and hitting the open road again.  Some pit stops for gas were as short as 4 minutes in order to be on time in South Carolina.  Torture and Fulfilling are the two words Connie used to describe the total experience.  She didn’t hesitate for a second before answering YES! when I asked if she’d do it again.  Connie finished in the middle of the pack and I have to believe that’s pretty astounding for a first timer.  Congratulations, Connie – You Did It!!!  And for your efforts – a wooden plaque, the respect of your fellow riders, your family and friends.

   Knowing my dear friend as I do, I’m pretty sure she’s already making notes for the next time she participates in the Iron Butt Rally.  Oh, and the award for the best named town/landmark on the map throughout the whole trip goes to… Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport.  Look it up, it’s real.


In Memory Of Mom
Sadly, Connie’s triumph was tempered by the loss of her mother the day after she returned home from South Carolina.  Blessedly, her mother passed away in her sleep.  Connie and her mom were very close, more so in recent years.  When her mom’s health issues increased, Connie transitioned into the primary caregiver role as many children do with aging parents.  Something that never changed over the years was their mutual love for the Minnesota Twins.  Connie never failed to call her mom after every game to chat about how the boys played.  Connie’s mom was one of her biggest supporters, as any good mom tends to be.  You all know by now that the reward for completing an IBA ride is a wooden plaque or trophy.  Connie’s mom called before every rally ride to wish her daughter good luck and to “get big wood!”  I’d like to believe she waited for Connie to get wood and come home safely before leaving this world.


Pronto Pups and Wes Walz
It’s here – the Great Minneosta Get Together!  It signals of the end of summer for most folks.  For me it signals the fast approaching hockey season.  The State Fair has hosted the Wild since their first season ten years ago.  And who was among the first players to appear at the fair, you ask?  Why that would be Wes Walz – like you didn’t see that coming a mile away.  As the team celebrates Year Ten (prepare to be sick of hearing that phrase by game 10 of this season) it seems appropriate that one of the most valued players in the team’s history makes an appearance at the fair to reveal the top 10 games in the team’s history.  I would just like to point out that even though Wes hasn’t been with the team since 2007 he is still as big of a draw, if not bigger than most of the current players.  I’m just sayin’.  Robyn and Vicki will be happy to know that I was a much more composed puck bunny today. I didn’t turn all giggles and blushing, well hardly at all…just a little.


Thanks to Bobbi for a fabulous day at the fair on Friday – great people watching and conversation with you!  We’re just a couple of simple country girls at heart, happily making our way through the DNR building and livestock barns.  We spent a good amount of time in the creative activities building – marveling over quilts and embroidery work.  Today I spent about two hours in the Ag-Hort-Bee building perusing the flowers, veggies, honey and wine entries.  Great music on Friday by The Brass Kings. Bobbi – do you remember the name of the trio we listened to at the coffee place? Two guitars and a bongo/drummer…they were joking about their scheduled appearances at the fair and how folks should not bother coming on the days they wouldn't be playing. 

Vicki - 23 days until we're in our seats!

3 comments:

  1. So it's still safe to say that you would change your last name to Walz if it didn't make you seem just a little too stalker-y? Thought so! Thanks for the update...I missed you...and it's ok to disappear for a while sometimes as long as you come back with a good story. Like one of my last visits with my grandmother before she passed when she looked at me lovingly and said "Oh Dee that's a pretty outfit...you don't look so fat today!" She was really something...something that actually made my mother lean over and whisper "bullshit" to me during her funeral as they talked of her kindness. Good times! Oh yeah...and thank you for the Video Rewind posts! I have now watched the Jim Gaffigan bacon bit three times this morning and nearly wrecked my computer spitting coffee every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I didn't think I'd get served with a permanent restraining order yes, Walz would be the chosen name. Grandmas and favorite aunties - saying everything out loud and getting away with it. I can't wait to be that age :) Speaking of bacon - Rich and I were just talking about bacon last night so I had to watch the video as well! I have a collection of annoying commercials going - I think I'll share them so they can stuck your heads and then wait for the hate mail to hit my inbox!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - and how does the name Zanon sound...

    ReplyDelete