DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Wild Over Caps, Sleepless In Lakeville

Catching Some Z's
I meant to stay up last night and post my game review but I chose to sleep instead.  I'm coming off of a two week little-to-no-sleep binge which has been totally self-inflicted, it's Horror and Hockey Month, people!  Anyway, by the time I was done flossing, brushing and rinsing the bucket of popcorn from between my teeth, the Ambien had kicked in so I let it take me off to the land of nod.  Man, what a difference six hours of really good sleep makes!  And now, on to some puck thoughts before I spend the afternoon in a dark theater watching Paranormal 2 - for the second time.  This movie is the best of the 2010 Horror Season so far!    

Mostly Gooder Hockey! 
Look, I'm thrilled with the win over my boyfriend's team just as much as the next person (no pun intended to Vicki who was the person next to me at the game).  I'm a realist at heart though, an analyst who needs to look at things from all perspectives.  I'm also a fan who's been watching this team since the Lemaire era and I've come to know that one well-played game out of the last three does not a play off berth make.  Last night was nothing new for this team.  When they feel like it, this team plays like they really do belong in the NHL. 

Was it great fun and delightful to watch?  You Betcha!  Casey Wellman, my puppy for this season, has made some strides and continues to make a bid for a permanent spot.  He just needs to start trusting his own shooting instincts more.  I thought Gilles did pretty well and if he's in the lineup for Saturday's game I'm betting he'll impress even more.  Falk is doing so well that this morning he was told to move out of the hotel and find himself some permanent digs.  **cough, cough: Ahem - "paging Cam Barker - you're time is up...paging Cam Barker..."  This doesn't mean Falk is permanent addition, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with how many games and/or days he's been at the NHL level, but I like that a message is being sent to a slacker.  
I had completely forgotten that Kobasew could shine when on a line with the right team mates.  I'm sure Vicki thought I was going into seizures over seeing Chuckie out there with Koivu and Bruno.  Speaking of Koivu - a HUGE miss on a break away but he did the right thing and got us the game winning goal.  Backstrom appears to have found his sacred place of zen and peace.  He's simply SPECTACULAR when he's found his center.  And did you catch how many times all five of our guys were standing in front of Backs and Just Saying No to the Capitals?  No laundry being hung out to dry last night.       

Did the game also leave me thinking we're in for a flaming bag of poo from our guys when the Hawks come to play tomorrow?  Ya, Sure Dontcha Know.  It's exhausting trying to figure out which team will actually show up for each game.  It's very tiring, riding this roller coaster of emotions going into every single game.  And this is coming from two very avid, passionate fans that have been known to leave sick family at home in order to be at the games.  Vicki and I both concurred last night that the lack of effort, more often than not, is wearing us down, making it harder to get excited about making the trek to the arena.  Does that mean we're giving up our seats for tomorrow night's game?  Heck No!   

The song streaming through my Wild brain - which should have Robyn falling off her chair considering I hate disco



Fan-tastic:
There was a very enthusiastic Martin Havlat fan in full Hawks gear in our section last night.  He was really vocal in his support of Marty every time #24 was on the ice.  In the section next to us was a very enthusiastic Not-A-Havlat-Fan in full Wild gear.  The banter back and forth all game was hilarious, and more so for every time Marty whiffed, stood on the blue line or just floated off to wherever the play wasn't.  But it was especially entertaining when Martin made his solo breakaway attempt, skating into the Capitals zone - 5 on 1 - and didn't score that got our two sections howling with laughter. 
I'm always thrilled to see opposing fans come to town to support their team.  Last night was all in good fun and I really hope this particular Havlat Fan is here for the weekend and that we'll get to see him again tomorrow night.  Over the last ten years I'm pleased to say that Minnesota Nice has come through for visiting fans in the upper sections 225 & 226.  I can't say the same for the some of the lower bowl sections I've sat in over the years.  What is about sitting in the lower level that turns Minnesotans into complete idiots?  They go out of their way to harass every nearby visiting team fan to the point of fisticuffs and being tossed out of the game.  Upper level, doesn't happen - that I've ever witnessed.  I guess money really can't buy you class, just a nasty hangover and a recommendation to never come to a Wild game again.    

Swiss Miss
So Marty, how's Petr Sykora doing these days?  Oh yeah, he's in Switzerland.  Tell your agent to shut his trap and then take that into consideration yourself.  Talk about harshing the mellow, way to divide a locker room.  It irritates me even more considering that you've yet to put a full season in on Wild ice.  You spent last season being referred to as Martin Half-Time and Martin Half-Flat.  Might I suggest a sincere apology to your team mates and then taking them all out for steaks and bakers at Mancini's.  

Great, now I want steak - two days before Sunday.  
           

1 comment: