DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Monday, December 20, 2010

Short Takes: Poinsettias, Happy Feet, Movie Review, Cute Videos

Tis The Season To Debunk A Myth
I love the color red.  I'm partial to what I call "real red" so none of that burgundy or blue-tinged red.  Fire Engine Red - that's the ticket for me.  The winter season and holidays are a great backdrop from the color red.  My favorite bird, the cardinal, looks best popping out in blazing red glory against the white snow covered pine trees.  One of my favorite flowers, the poinsettia, is in bloom and on display everywhere this time of year.  Sadly, the poinsettia has gotten a bad reputation over the years and I'm sick of it.  There are too many folks out there who won't bring one of these glorious plants into their homes because they're too lazy to do the research for themselves. 
I'm here to bring justice to this regal plant, once and for all - Poinsettias Are Not Poisonous!!  Here's the fact of the matter:

According to the Poison Control Center in Madison, Wisconsin, "most of the fear originated from the death of one child in Hawaii in 1918 who was believed to have eaten a poinsettia plant. However, experts are no longer sure this death really had anything to do with the ornamental plant.
In fact, a research study conducted at Ohio State University in more recent years reveals that poinsettias are not truly poisonous at all. The study conclusively proved that all parts of the plant are non-toxic.

Today the National Capital Poison Center in Washington, DC and poison control centers across the country list the poinsettia as a non-poisonous plant."

Will your cat or dog throw up if they munch on the plant - very likely.  But that's the same outcome as when they munch on a patch of grass, the Boston fern hanging in your bathroom or the potted philodendron in your living room.  Your kids will probably get a tummy ache out of the ordeal as well, but again - no sinister plant plotting to harm your kids or pets.  Google it and read for yourselves.  Then go out and bring home your favorite color poinsettia - you'll be happy you did!

A New Start For Bobbi! 
Most folks who visit this blog knew that Bobbi was laid off this last summer.  She really made the most of her time off by applying for positions, heading back to school and taking some cross country trips that were long over due.  She even started a blog of her own...whether or not she'll ever publish it for the rest of the world remains to be seen...hint-hint.  Anyhow, Bobbi called the other day to share the great news of having accepted a job starting shortly after the new year begins!  She's very excited and feels great about the position and what she'll be doing. 
She was so thrilled about it she sent along this video to express the happy dance she was doing:

Congratulations to Bobbi!  I'm sure I speak for all of us when I wish you the very best in your new position!  I'm telling you - 2011 looks to the year for new beginnings and happy endings.

Movie Review - The Fighter
Premise: Insight into the early years of boxer "Irish" Micky Ward and his brother who helped train him before Micky went pro in the mid 1980s.

Who's In It:
                      Mark Wahlberg - BEST. ACTING. PERFORMANCE. OF. HIS. LIFE.   And that's before I get all gushy **cue up the burlesque music** over his amazing body...OMFG!  He is completely off-the-charts ripped for this movie.  Mark was already in better shape than any guy has a right to be (sorry Matthew Mcconaughey) but for this movie he is so defined and chiseled.  I felt myself blushing in the dark theater.  I'm not really one for sports story movies but I'll tell you what - in terms of capturing a dysfunctional family at it's collective worst, this movie does it best.  And I ought to know, having come from Dysfunction Junction myself.  The dynamics of a family destined to tear each other apart from within is the real story of this movie, along with Micky's decision to leave the toxic poisons of his family behind.
                     Amy Adams - Clearly a break out role for her as well.  All I had ever seen her in before this were ditzy chick flicks or family oriented movies.  KUDOS to learning how to swear like a real Irishwoman and then letting it rip like it's her first language.  Her entire performance was memorable and believable.  I hope this role leads to many more serious parts.
                    Christian Bale - I was never a fan of this guy.  Until this movie.  Holy crap, this guy's actually got some talent in him.  Makes me wonder if he comes from a dysfunctional family since he certainly plays his role with spot-on accuracy.
There are a number of other really strong actors in this movie, far too many to list here but suffice to say that my vote (as if it counts) would for this movie to get the picture of the year award.  Mark, Amy and Christian should all get nods in Best Of categories as well.


Cute Videos Ahead - Hope You're On The Blog Site...
A few folks have sent this video to me thinking it was new.  It's 3 years old with well over 5 million views but it's just as cute and fabulous today as it was when it was originally posted.  In fact, you'll find a link to this video on my blog site.  And very appropriate given the weather lately here in Minnesnowta:


For The Cat Lovers - This One Never Gets Old:


This One Should Set The Tone For Christmas Week - Dave, Hope You Got Your Xmas Lights Up!  

Yes, this song is on my iPod - found on the 'Tis The Season' playlist :)

I'll post after the game tonight - that is assuming I make it there and back in one piece.  Tell me again why I'm still living in this God-Forsaken state?

No comments:

Post a Comment