DEE-ICING

Pronunciation: (dē-ˈīsing).

Function: transitive verb.

Definitions -

1 : Process of unwinding after a Wild hockey game.

2 : Process of leaving a lifetime of cold and snow in Minnesota behind for warmer climates.

3 : My random thoughts on hockey, life and the pursuit of really good tequila. (no politics allowed)

4 : Relief from insomnia.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Two Great Wild Games Saturday Night

Wild History
My heart was pounding.  I was on my feet nervously pacing.  I was so PROUD of the Wild's play.  No, I wasn't dreaming during my nap time prior to the late starting game in Calgary.  I was watching a replay of game 6 of the 2003 NHL Western Conference semi-finals between the Wild and Vancouver. 

What a magnificent group of guys playing hockey back then.  They wore their hearts on their sleeves.  They played with Determination, Pride, Integrity, Guts and just plain WANTED that game more than the Canucks did.  The team didn't have the "big name" talent on the team back then - remember that Gaborik was still very much a puppy.  Yet, they found what it took from wihtin to win this game for themselves and for the State Of Hockey.  These guys battled endlessly in corners and along the boards to come out with the puck.  There was no waiting to see if they could win the puck back in the other zone while the opponent went to the bench for a line change. 

I was grinning from ear to ear watching Brad Brown and Jason Marshall giving it 100% on the blue line.  My favorite Wild Elf of all time - Cliff Ronning - driving to the net time and time again despite being all of 5'4" on blades.  Dwayne Roloson performing miracles in the net while Manny Fernandez kept things lively on the bench with the guys in between their shifts.  Andrew Brunette in his office behind the net and Jim Dowd circling and circling and circling the net waiting for Bruno's pass.  There were tears slipping down my cheeks before I realized it while watching Sergei Zholtok.  Antti Laaksonen - who had been benched for a couple of games prior to this one - came out blazing, ready to prove to Jacques that he wouldn't be slacking off again.  And Jacques behind the bench - constantly talking to his players.  Patting them on the shoulder, pointing to how a play was progressing on the ice.  A real coach in action.  God, help me for saying this, but I think Filip Kuba actually took more shots on goal in this game than Nick Schultz has taken in his entire career.  How's that for irony?   

And of course, there was Wes.  Man, talk about make my heart beat faster.  The sheer determination on his face alone was enough to make his linemates step up and give 100% on their shifts.  The guy was the ultimate workhorse, never letting up, never giving up.  He was there to make something happen: separate the opponent from the puck, make the pass that started the rush, defend his zone, score a goal - whatever it took.  Making Todd Bertuzzi eat his words was icing on the cake as the Wild won this game and then game 7 in Vancouver to advance to the Western Conference Finals.  Wow, all that emotion from a fan watching a replay of a game from 7 years ago.  I wonder what Wes felt while watching it - if he watched it.    

Wild Present Day
Sally and I settled in to watch last night's game in Calgary.  We were prepared with a bottle of wine to help take the edge off - cuz let's face it - the Wild suck more often than they don't these last two seasons.  I had the movie Inception ready in the DVD player just in case the game and/or Dumb & Dumberer got to be too hard to watch and listen to.  

We drank the bottle of wine, needless to say.  But we were using to wet our whistles after cheering and whistling the boys on during a game in which they didn't totally suck.  It wasn't a flashy game the Wild played last night.  In fact there were times when I thought for sure they were on the edge of returning to the 'dial-it-in' approach they've become so fond of.  But they stuck to their basic game (you know, the one they all learned under Lemaire) for ALL. THREE. PERIODS.  

Let's give credit where it's due - Mikko Koivu.  He pulled on his big boy breezers for the game and led by example, as the captain of the team should.  He battled hard for puck possession, he separated the puck from his opponent - with his own stick, he made passes that were beautiful and he was almost always in position.  He gave 100% effort for the entire game.  I don't know what coach Todd Richards said to Mikko during their one-on-one meeting the day before the game, but I certainly hope that conversation gets played over and over again to Mikko going forward.  Lead by example Mikko, and they will follow you.        
Best Picture Award goes to the Calgary Herald for this Picture of Mikko Koivu

Backstrom had a great game in net!  Let's face it, he HAD to.  Anyone thinking that his performance in last night's game wasn't going to be a deciding factor heading into the second half of the season is sorely lacking in hockey sense.  I don't care what 'message' Todd Richards made in the newspaper about Nik being THE guy.  Any goalie who's consistently giving up 4 or more goals per game is going to see his starts diminish, regardless of the size of his contract.  Someone pointed out to me, in all fairness to Nik, that he's at .500 right now out of his last 10 games in terms of wins/losses.  Here's my reply: those 5 losses...Nik gave up 5, 5, 6, 7 and 6 goals.  Stats are what you manipulate them to be...Tim will be smiling to hear me say that.  I'm guessing Backstrom will get the start back here in town Monday night to see if he can string another two good performances together.  That's something he hasn't done since Nov 14th and 17th - just sayin'.  But then, I'm not an NHL coach so take all of my ramblings with a grain of salt, or whatever seasoning you prefer.  


Clayton Stoner had a great game and young whippersnapper Jared Spurgeon had a good outing as well.  To quote Sally from last night: "Jared's 21???  He looks all of 12 years old for crying out loud!"  Of course, this is coming from the lady who kick boxes with teenage boys for shits and grins on the weekends.  Young is a state of mind :) 
 
This video has absolutely nothing to do with hockey.  It's a tune that's been in my head for a few days so it's best that I play it out loud as a means of exorcism.  


I'm pretty bummed reading that this series may not be picked up for a second season.  I loved the show and am particularly enamored of Donal Logue.  Go figure: 1. Canadian born, eh.  2.  Irish, like me.  3. He's a twin (sister)...I'm a Gemini.  Now, if I could just get him to give up soccer for hockey...sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment